Monday, 8 August 2011

Photographs -A dying trend ?


Photographs are not only used to capture memories, they are evidence of how well our lives are going, how good we look, places we have been and people that are in our lives. However, with the advancement of technology, photo albums seem to be a thing of the past. Gone were the day’s people had to buy film to place in their cameras and go to the camera shop to get their negatives developed. More and more people are taking photographs on their smart phones and uploading it onto virtual photo albums, social media platforms such as Facebook and blogs and storing it onto their hard drives.   Photo albums have been replaced with digital photo albums, and photo frames displayed around the house are being replaced by modern day artwork.  

I remember when I was much younger, I used to love taking photographs with a Fujifilm camera that was really big and heavy. I even got a newspaper route just to get enough money to buy extra rolls of film.  I used to love the thrill and excitement of taking my film to the camera store to get them developed because you never really knew what your photo would look like. Once I got my photographs, I would either make a really nice collage, put my favourite one in a photo frame and display it in my room or make a scrap book and organise all my photo’s according to the occasion. I look at my kids now and they all have digital cameras. Don’t get me wrong I have one too and I do think that they are fantastic but I think the main problem is it has eliminated to experience around the photographs. Digital camera’s allow you to take millions of photos, you can delete the ones you aren’t happy with, but more than likely you will never develop those photos because you are either faced with the dilemma of which ones to develop or the fact that you can just view them whenever you want on your laptop or television. In reality how many of us have taken photo’s stored it and never looked back.

This weekend I was cleaning out the garage and I came across so many photographs that I never got around to sorting. It became a really fun family project. We went out to the store and got a couple of albums and together we sat around the dining table putting them into albums reminiscing about the good ole days and laughing are heads off. One of my daughters also discovered this group buying website called Qoop that is offering a fantastic deal on a 40 page hardcover photo book for only $29. My family and I each bought a book. It’s so simple. After we purchased the deal we sent Mini Box (the company that advertised the deal) 40 photos, picked a design for the cover of the photo album and they will deliver the photo album to your doorstep.   It is also the perfect gift to give to your friends, family or loved ones.  I highly recommend purchasing it if not I suggest you start developing photographs and personalising your home with them. Photo albums are also the perfect coffee table book !

No comments:

Post a Comment